I stopped by a bookstore in town today. I had found in my room the book Bushido written in a bilingual English/Japanese edition and I wanted to see if there were any other interesting books in the series. The idea is for Japanese to read the text in their own language and refer to the english every once in a while for practice, but it works just as well the other way around.
I did not end up buying a bilingual book, though I encountered a small stack. Instead, I book Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore (海辺のカフカ, umibe no kafuka) in the original. I read the book in english last year, and after skimming the first page, I decided that, since I know the plot, I might be able to slough through it in Japanese one way or another. I heard my teacher at HIF tell another student that Murakami's prose was very "english" in its sentence structure (a significant point, seeing as there are few languages more distant from english in terms of sentence structure than japanese), making it a reasonable read for students. So I bought the book and am now anotating the vertical japanese text with pronounciation guides for glyphs I don't remember, meanings for new words like "cynical" and "manage somehow or another," and otherwise being very proud of myself for buying my first japanese book. Now if I could only read Tolstoy....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment